Goal Setting 101
Identify your W’s
- What is your goal? – BE SPECIFIC!
- Why is your goal important to you? If your answer is “Just because” it’s time to go back to the drawing board, my friend!
- Who will be positively impacted if (ahem – WHEN) you achieve your goal? Family, friends, pets, coworkers… these can all be incredible motivators when you’re in a slump.
- When will you meet your goal? – Set a deadline, then work backwards to develop a clear plan of attack. Break your goal down into milestones (with their own deadlines) so you’re not overwhelmed from the start.
Account for accountability
- Set yourself up for success with an accountability partner who is either working towards a similar goal, or has already achieved what you’ve set out to accomplish.
- Align yourself with people you admire – They will be a valuable source of support and input throughout the process
- Track your progress – there are countless project planning and accountability apps at your disposal. Do your homework, find one that vibes with you, and stick with it!
- What motivates you when nothing else does? If you’re competitive, make it a competition! If you’re reward oriented, dangle a carrot or two along the way. Example: Saving to buy your first home – Once you’ve saved your first $1k, treat yourself to a nice new wallet, or customized debit card. Every time you spend money, you’ll be reminded of your goal and re-think that 3am Instagram-fueled online shopping spree.
- What has held you back from achieving your goals in the past? You know your weaknesses. Shine a spotlight on them now, so you’re aware when they will inevitably creep in next time.
- Give yourself a break. There will likely be setbacks along the way to meeting your goal. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get back at it. Remember your why you started!